The parish of Egloskerry (Cornish: Egloskerri), otherwise
Egloscruc), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and
Hundred of East.
Rather a pretty village, with the houses in the centre
being at angles to the road, and broken up by attractive
spaces. The tree on the green is where the lane down into
the Kensey valley turns off.
Egloskerry is bounded on the north by the River Attery
which separates it from the parish of North Petherwin, on
the east by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston,
on the south by Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast
and Tresmere. The name is Cornish for 'Church of Keri'.
This saint is believed to be female and one of the 24 children
of the Welsh king Broccan.
The parish is about 5 miles north-west of
consists of the village of Egloskerry and many outlying
hamlets and farms. Besides the Churchtown, these include
Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath.
The parish comprises 3253 acres of land and 9 acres water.
The Penheale Estate is located within the parish and
was mentioned as one of 284 manors in
Cornwall by the Domesday
Book of 1086.
Egloskerry received railroad service on 21 July 1892
when the London & South Western Railway, or LSWR, opened
a line between Launceston
and Tresmeer. But the actual opening date for Egloskerry
Station was 3 October 1892. The small goods yard at the
station closed on 9 May 1960 and the station completely
a few years later. On 3 October 1966, the line that passed
through Egloskerry closed entirely.Holy Well / Spring in
Cornwall. To find this holy well cross the road from the
Egloskerry Church into a parking area. At the back of this
parking area take the walking track a short way and climb
the stile into a field, turn hard right and cross the field
to the fence line, follow the fence line back up towards
the church until you see the well on your left. Unfortunately
the well has been fitted with a very basic grill which doesn’t
enhance its appearance. The holy water used for baptisms
is still taken from the Holy Well.